What is Under/Uninsured Motorist Insurance?

Young woman dealing with uninsured motorist insurance in collision

Underinsured and uninsured motorist insurance coverage can protect you and your vehicle while on the road. Uninsured motorist insurance protects you if a driver hits you who has no auto insurance. While underinsured motorist insurance protects you if a driver hits you who does not have enough coverage to pay for the damages caused. Typically, both coverage options are mandatory in most states and highly recommended for all drivers to have.

According to the Insurance Information Institute, nearly 13% of drivers nationwide do not have auto insurance. If you are on the road and do not have any coverage, you are at a serious risk. You could end up having to pay for medical bills or vehicle repairs out of your own pocket. Having coverage on the road is not only legally required, but is also the best way to protect yourself from excessive damage payments. Whether it is under or uninsured or both, knowing the differences between the two can help you make the best decision.

What is Uninsured Motorist Insurance?

Uninsured motorist insurance will cover your passengers’ injuries and damage to your vehicle. This applies when the driver who hit you does not have enough coverage or none. If an uninsured driver hits you, you will most likely need two coverage options. Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) will cover medical bills for both you and your passengers. Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) will pay for damage to your vehicle. Depending on your state, the legally required coverage may vary. Keep that in mind when looking for coverage options. While collision coverage is like UMPD, it will only pay for damages to your car. With UMPD, the insurance company covers damages to both your car and other property caused by an uninsured driver.

What is Underinsured Motorist Insurance?

The key difference between underinsured and uninsured coverage is that underinsured protects you from an accident caused by someone with insufficient coverage of their own. Though someone may have auto insurance, they may have gone with the cheapest insurance option available which may not cover all damage in an accident. It’s a good idea to maintain both underinsured and uninsured coverage.

There are a two types of underinsured coverage. Like uninsured coverage, these are bodily injury and property damage coverage for accidents occurring with an underinsured driver. No matter the coverage you decide to use, the bottom line is that you should have coverage no matter what. Being uninsured while in an accident can be expensive in many ways.

McCune Law Group Can Help When Tragedy Strikes

If you’re involved in a major collision, McCune Law Group, McCune Wright Arevalo Vercoski Kusel Weck Brandt APC (MLG) is here to help. Our team of catastrophic Personal Injury attorneys can advise you of your options when you are harmed in an accident. When you have a national personal injury attorney on your side you can rest assured that your interests will be best represented. Our team has secured millions of dollars for our clients and can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.

Contact MLG by completing the form or calling (909) 345-8110 today for a free consultation with our professional personal injury team.

Take The Next Step

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today